[CT Birds] Pink-footed Goose/Bald Eagle Encounter!

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Sat Jan 7 11:17:00 EST 2012

1/7  Somersville Mill Pond  10 AM   PINK-FOOTED GOOSE spotted by many
birders in with several hundred Canada Geese.  The bird was to the east of
the viewing area so since lighting was not too good, I with Kris Johnson and
Denise Jernigan headed over to the east side of the pond to DEEP property
for better lighting.  We were able to scope the bird for great views of it's
pink legs and beak as it was preening.  While Kris and Denise headed back to
the road to direct other birders to the site, I watched the goose first lay
down for a few minutes on the ice to rest and then suddenly all the geese
started to get a bit nervous with lots of honking and milling and the
Pink-footed stood up, walked a few steps and then took off into the air
right towards me for great flying scope views.  He turned north, flying
quickly, and then I noticed probably 75-100 feet behind him the mature Bald
Eagle that I have been seeing all fall at the Mill Pond, hot on his tail!
They both disappeared to the north up the Scantic River.  Some of the
experts in the group thought it unlikely the Eagle would catch him but I
will keep my fingers crossed that indeed he does survive to lead us all on a
merry chase again as we try to relocate him!

Jan in Somers