[CT Birds] Bloomfield Snow Geese

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 17:27:33 EST 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
1/7 - Bloomfield, Carmen Arace Middle School -- 4 SNOW GEESE, around 3:30 PM.  The three adults which have been around for awhile and were last reported by Zellene from nearby Filley Pond were joined by a juvenile.  All of the geese in the area move around a lot and are thus hit and miss.

To that point, there are a LOAD of geese in the general Hartford area right now.  The flash freeze during the week changed the dynamic of things some, but with the return of the warmer weather and more open water and not frozen greenery, goose numbers are again impressive.  I checked the currently known goose areas in Bloomfield and Windsor this morning and found nothing of particular note.  After spending some quality time and with the Pink-footed and as many as 2,000 Canadas in various part of Somers, Paul Desjardins and I went to Broad Brook pond in East Windsor, which was literally covered with geese.  I'd guess maybe 4,000 Canadas there, but nothing else that we could see.  On my way back home I again checked the Windsor and Bloomfield areas and noted several decent sized flocks of between 500 - 1,000 geese apiece.  None were in the same place they were at 9 - 9:30 this morning.

Of seasonal note, there were two Green-winged Teals working the open edge of the pond on Ninth District Road in Somers where the Pink-footed went after the eagle moved him.  They were on the far left side of the pond in and out of some cattails.    West Hartford Reservoir 6 held two American Coots near the small rocky island along the walking path, not far in on the access road.  I was hoping for some better duck action but other than about 20 blacks, nothing doing.  Perhaps the adult Bald Eagle that was keeping watch on the north side of the water (where the ducks often go) had something to do with that.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT