[CT Birds] 1/21/12 SE CT Alcid Boat Trip-COA Sponsered

philiprusch at charter.net philiprusch at charter.net
Sun Jan 8 07:12:24 EST 2012

Hello all,

    Thanks to Frank Mantlik's suggestion, I contacted Project Oceanology
at UCONN Avery Point Campus about chartering one of their vessels for a
4 hour trip into Eastern Long Island Sound and/or Fisher's Island Sound
to search for Alcids and Kittiwakes.  They have an open date for
Saturday January 21st 2012 from 8AM- 12 Noon.The cost will depend on the
number of participants.  Rate will vary from $53 for 30 participants to
$35 for 45 participants.  I need to confirm with Project O by Monday
1/9/12 afternoon.
     Project O's boats are US Coast Guard certified, have a heated
cabin, and a PA system.  The boats are 55 or 65 foot in length.  The
trip wil stay in CT waters.  As of right now Frank Mantlik and Nick
Bonomo have volunteered to be leaders.
     So far this year there has been numerous Razorbill sightings as
well as 3 sightings of Common Murre, 1 of Thick-billed Murre, and 3 of
Kittiwake.  I believe that there is a good  chance that Dovekies are
floating around in the eastern sound as well.

     If interested, please contact me off list at
philiprusch at charter.net.

Phil Rusch
Chaplin