[CT Birds] Pink-footed, shrike, Snow Geese

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 14:35:22 EST 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
1/8 -- East Windsor, Broad Brook Pond -- PINK-FOOTED GOOSE, around 11:00 AM.  Thanks to Rick Macsuga for the tip!
South Windsor, Major Donnelly Preserve - NORTHERN SHRIKE, a bit farther down the trail than Jonathan Truend-Trend's post had it.  The bird was visible distantly from a viewing platform that is a couple hundred yards beyond the marsh and boardwalk.  I'm told this is where it often is.  Thanks to Larry Nichols for the keen eye!
Bloomfield, Tumble Brook Golf Course -- 4 SNOW GEESE, the same ones I saw yesterday.  They were on the golf course as een from CT 218 near the Cigna campus.

Too bad I didn't drive past Filley Pond today on my way home!  By my reckoning and the recent reports, there is a Barnacle, 4 Snows and 3 Cackling Geese in the Bloomfield/Windsor/Hartford area.  Mark Szantyr noted there are a couple more Cackling Geese in the Somers area, and one has been seen at Broad Brook Pond in somewhat nearby East Windsor.  White-fronted, anyone?  Or Emperor?

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT