[CT Birds] Stonington Razorbill and more

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Sun Jan 8 19:23:21 EST 2012

A bit late but I'm just getting back to my computer.  On Saturday, my son Brendan, young Massachussetts birder Galen Frank and I had a very close look at a swimming RAZORBILL just off Stonington Point.  It was on the West side of the point, just off the jetty that protects the small beach there.  We visited Barn Island next but it was very quiet, unless you count all the people, dogs, and horses!
On Sunday we stopped at Hammonasset, where there were three male COMMON EIDER, a GREATER SCAUP on the rocks at the end of the morraine trail (along with 3 harbor seals), and a few GANNETS far out.  Loads of SANDERLING and RUDDY TURNSTONES with a few DUNLIN near the start of the trail, but we couldn't find any purple sandpipers.  There was a single GREEN-WINGED TEAL among a dozen BLACK DUCKS in the pond north of the road between the nature center parking lot and Meigs point.  HORNED LARKS were on the nature center lot with a few SNOW BUNTINGS, many YELLOW RUMPED WARBLERS on Willards Island, and a HARRIER working the adjacent marshes.
While in Madison we also tried for the YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER, which Brendan picked out in the woods behind us a minute after we arrived.  Quite a bird!
-Sean Murtha