[CT Birds] BOAT-TAILS, CHAT, 2 OR-CROWNS, 3 WH-CROWNS, 3 FOX, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 9 19:47:54 EST 2012

1/9/2012  I birded Stratford and Fairfield today (61 species) with the following
highlights:

Stratford,  Short Beach Park - 1 GREAT EGRET, 3 Double-crested Cormorants, 100s
of Sanderlings and Dunlin at low tide, 3 White-crowned Sparrows, 3 Fox Sparrows,
70 Snow Buntings.

Stratford, Stratford Point - 1 NORTHERN GANNET, 7 Great Cormorants, 124 Am.
Wigeon, many Gadwall, an estimated 3000 Scaup far out (1+ mile offshore),
numbers of the usual loons and sea ducks.

Frash Pond (Access Rd.) - 30 Canvasback.

Stratford, Long Beach Blvd., Mckinney NWR / Great Meadows Marsh - 5 GREAT
EGRETS, 3 Killdeer (Tom Hook had 5 earlier), 10 Black-crowned Night-Herons, 2
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, 4 Golden-crowned Kinglets, 19 BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES.
 The Grackles surprised me by still being in the area.  First sighting since
August (before Hurricane Irene).  They seem to have changed their evening roost
site.  I saw them from the airport entrance at 4:45-5:05 pm, perched in a
distant tree then they flew SE over me to an undetermined roost location.

Long Beach - 5 Horned Grebes, 100+ Common Goldeneyes, 4 Common Mergansers.  I
did not look for the Iceland Gull.

Fairfield, Old Dam Rd., Pine Creek Open Space - Gray Catbird, YELLOW-BREASTED
CHAT (thanks Charlie B.), 2 SNOW GEESE (ad & imm. with Canadas on golf course).

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

>From Frank & Linda Mantlik
1/8 Stratford, Wooster Pond - CACKLING GOOSE, 12 Green-winged Teal.

>From Linda Mantlik
1/6  Milford, Anderson Ave. marsh - 1 Greater Yellowlegs.

p.s. I saw photos of a reported Green Heron (Jan. 7), and it was in fact a
Black-crowned Night-Heron.