[CT Birds] Mourning Warbler

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 20:52:33 EST 2012

All -- I don't pretend to be an expert, and we know this bird is an Orange-crowned, which is still always a nice find in CT.
For future reference, though, Patrick Comins was spot on that MacGillivray's would be the more expected of the two at this season.  The fact that there are only a handful or records of this species from the northeast and I think only 2 from CT. though, tells how unexpected even MacGillivray's is.  Anyway, my experience from the first CT record from New Milford and also one I saw in NJ a couple years prior is that MacGillivray's is somewhat vocal as it hops around and skulks, whereas Mourning is not.  In fact, that behavior was a good clue that the bird Dave Tripp and I were chasing around in New Milford was in fact MacGillivray's and not Mourning.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT