[CT Birds] Norwalk Island Razorbills...

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Tue Jan 10 00:10:52 EST 2012

1/09/12 Norwalk Islands.
A survey by boat showed a large number of WHITE-WINGED SCOTER in very deep water 2-3 miles south of Cockenoe Island, due to weather conditions an accurate count was impossible as the flock stretched east and west for several miles in a bit of a chop.
My guess is probably 1,000 birds, possibly several thousand.
We also had five RAZORBILLS, several were feeding in 65' of water in this area.
Inshore we saw five NORTHERN GANNET, all flying out of the Westport Millpond meets LIS area, apparently there were some surface feeding fish (atlantic herring?) in that zone earlier today.
I posted a quick story and pic's here:
The Scoter grounds have changed from the past few years. I hope to investigate this further when the winds are calm and the temps are warm.
Larry Flynn
Norwalk, CT