[CT Birds] Southport Survey #289

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Jan 10 11:31:39 EST 2012

Southport Survey # 289

The tide was rising with the higher rocks of sunken island exposed.
There was a west wind which produced white caps. The sky was partly
cloudy.

Upon stepping out of the car, the Scaup were seen flying to the east.
Otherwise, there was little else to be seen, only 2 scoters, a couple
of Long-tailed Ducks and a Common Loon. In the Pine Creek channel was
Baby Huey and a friend, along with some Canada Geese.

The golf course ponds were mostly frozen and empty except for a
Herring Gull on the Ice. Southport Harbor was still filled with the
Canada Geese, Bufflehead and Hooded Mergansers. Also in the Harbor
were 3 Common Mergansers. In one little streach of water I had all
three mergansers but could only get two in the field of view at one
time.

At Southport Beach the three Great Cormorants that roost on the tower
were still gone. The one Great Cormorant I did have was an off shore
fly by. The mouth of Sasco Creek had most of the swans Black Ducks,
and Mallards.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	12/22	12/29	01/5	01/10