[CT Birds] CT BIG JANUARY 2012

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 10 19:54:43 EST 2012

Hi all,
As in past years, a number of CT birders will partake in a friendly birding
competition known as a CT BIG JANUARY. Basically what that is involves going
birding from Jan 1 - Jan 31 within the borders of the state and tallying up as
many species as one can find. Last year I agreed to moderate the event and
produced a summary of the results. This year, since I will be away at month's
end,
Scott Kruitbosch has kindly agreed to handle these duties.

While some specifics still need to be worked out, we hereby continue  the
Rules/Guidelines of the past as follows:
- To qualify, one needs to have  a minimum of 90 species for the month within
CT.
- All species seen/heard need to have been counted on public property, your own
property, or private property with permission.
- Report your species list in the same order as the COA ARCC Official CT List:
http://www.ctbirding.org/ct_checklist.htm
- Deadline for submission is Saturday, Feb. 4 at 10 pm.  Use this address:
skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
- Digital photos you have taken, especially of rare species, are welcome.
Note that smaller photo file size (500 pixels on the longest dimension, with a
resolution set to 72 dpi) makes for easier/quicker emailing.  Credit will be
given on
any photos used in the summary  report.
- Since this event is based on the honor system, please make every effort to be
honest and certain of your identifications.
- Provide the date and location for the first time each species was identified
(optional, but  encouraged).

Sincerely,
Frank Mantlik
Stratford