[CT Birds] Stratford List for 1/9 and 1/10

donnacap at aol.com donnacap at aol.com
Tue Jan 10 20:04:08 EST 2012

1/9/2012 STRATFORD BOAT RAMP
7:15 - 7:50 a.m.
Belted Kingfisher
Coots (8)
Usual assorted Gulls
Am. Black Ducks (4)
Mallards (10ish pairs)

1/9/2012 STRATFORD GREENWAY (VERY FEW DUCKS)
12:30 - 12:50 p.m.
Carolina Wren (2) (1 was singing its little heart out in a tree, the other flittering about the brush at the end of the of the Greenway walk).
Coot (1)
Gadwell (1 Pair)
European Starlings (30ish)
Northern Mocking Bird (1)
Sparrows (3)

1/10/2012 STRATFORD BOAT RAMP
7:15 - 7:45 a.m.
Assorted Gulls
Coots (4)

1/10/2012 FRASH POND, Stratford (from behind stores, could not make out what was across pond but saw no Geese).
7:45 - 7:55 a.m.
Canvas Backs (approx 15 pair)
Hood Meragansers (approx 5 pair)
Assorted Gulls
Am. Black Ducks (4 pair)

1/10/20212 STRATFORD GREENWAY
12:20 - 12:55 p.m.
12:49 p.m.:  A few thousand Scaup crossing the mouth of the Housatonic River from Milford to Stratford (a first sighting of such a cloud of birds for me!)
Carolina Wren (1)
European Starlings (30ish)
Sparrows (5)
Northern Mocking Bird (1)

Photos of most of the above, including the "bird cloud" can be found at this link. It's a public Facebook album and you do not need to be a member of Facebook to view it, or any of my other albums that I post.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150521209407439.396109.726347438&type=1&l=9c01f1b04f

Thanks!

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT