[CT Birds] Bloomfield geese - Barnacle, Snows, etc.

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 14:14:08 EST 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
1/11/12 -- Bloomfield, West Hartford res 6 -- BARNACLE GOOSE in with large group of 1,500 + Canadas in the north end of the reservoir, around 1 PM.
Bloomfield, Filley Park -- 4 SNOW GEESE, 1 juv. ICELAND GULL, around 12:30 PM.

I had limited time but I checked a number of Bloomfield goose spots while looking for the Barnacle.  I'm amazed how productive Filley Pond, which is a little thing in the middle of a busy town, has been lately.  Tried several corn fields along Mountain Road and CT 185 in Bloomfield, also what I could see of Tumble Brook Country Club thinking the Barnacle might be there but no luck. I was surprised to see that many geese on res 6 at midday but there they were. A scope is recommended to sort through them all if you go there.  One of the coots which have been around for some time now was also still present.  Reservoir 6 is often referred to as West Hartford Reservoir 6 -- the entrance from 44 is in West Hartford and much of the water is as well but the northern end is actually in Bloomfield.  There is a boundary marker now which shows that.

Like the Pink-footed, these geese do range around a bit.  I have seen the Snows in four different places in the past couple of weeks.  A couple of those places are separated by 4 or 5 miles.  Worse weather and slight snow cover coming might move these guys around in other ways.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT