[CT Birds] Lead Fishing Sinkers

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 19:46:25 EST 2012

The CT Coalition for Environmental Justice is currently working to introduce legislation banning small sized (an ounce or less) lead fishing sinkers. Ingestion of lead sinkers is the LEADING cause of mortality in loons on their breeding grounds. All of our surrounding states have legislation banning lead sinkers.

While loons do not breed in CT and thus the sinkers pose less of a threat, banning these sinkers will help prevent lead from entering the environment and posing any threats to humans as well as wildlife.

A meeting will be held at the CT Coalition for Environmental Justice on Friday, January 13 at 3 PM, at 10 Jefferson St.(rear)in Hartford to discuss this issue. Anyone interested in attending, or in receiving further information may contact Joe Wasserman at
joe.wasserman at environmental-justice.org

I'll keep you all posted on further developments.

Zellene Sandler