[CT Birds] European Field Guide?

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 13 11:47:26 EST 2012

James, Diane,

Maybe the other Europeans on the list will disagree, but I don't think there is
much question that the best European guide is the Collins Bird Guide by
Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom and Grant.  The first edition ahd both small
and large format versions - I'm not sure if that followed through to the second
edition, but be sure to get the small format if you want to take it in the

In terms of accuracy/quality of the artwork and knowledge of the authors, this
is the European equivalent of the Sibley Guide in North America.

Diane - my Dad lives in Devon and I spent many childhood holidays there - I
don't know Exmoor, but if you're interested I can provide info on birding in
South Devon (or elsewhere in the UK) if you contact me off-list with more
details about your trip (when, where exactly, etc.)

 Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net