[CT Birds] European Field Guide?

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Jan 13 12:51:02 EST 2012

THat is a great book, I also have the oversize Edition, excellent!

Another great resource is the two-volume set: The Birds of the Western
Palearctic (Concise Edition) by D. W. Snow and C. M. Perrins. This set
is fantastic, and not sure if you have seen this Patrick) but the
treatment of Gulls in Volume 1 is about the best I have seen. Each
bird is extensively outlined with multiple drawings of the birds in
flight with all the wing moult/cycle patterns shown with comparisons
to similar species. I think I bought my set at Buteo Books. They are
large books, the set is about 5 inches thick!

Another great book for European Seabirds: Flight Identification of
European Seabirds (Helm Identification Guides)- another of my favorites.

Keith Mueller

I will second Chris' recommendation for this book.   Everyone should
own this one, even if they don't go to Europe.  The treatment of gulls
and shorebirds is worth the price.  I even purchased the oversized
coffee table version.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut