[CT Birds] tips for birding SE Asia

List List at ballentine-capital.com
Sat Jan 14 10:52:33 EST 2012

Planning for a (non-birding) trip to SE Asia. Hopeful to be in most or all of Hong Kong, Tokyo, Ho Chi Minh City (fka Saigon) and Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket in Thailand. I likely will only be able to casually bird as I travel around each day, but might be able to squeeze in a half day of dedicated birding in some cities. Though it isn't a birding trip, I'd hate to come back not having seen a halfway decent sampling to add to my life list. I would greatly appreciate any tips on bird guides to hire, hotspots to not miss and/or guidebooks to pick up to make the best of this opportunity. Thanks in advance for any input, either in reply on the forum or via direct email to list at ballentine-capital dot com