[CT Birds] flying squirrel

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 11:52:16 EST 2012

1/14
This is a bit off topic, but it did eat my bird seed.
After bringing home a bag of bird seed, I left it on the dryer in
mudroom to put out for the morning.
I went back into the mudroom and there was bird seed spilled, with a hole
in the bag.  I figure we had mice, so we put a few mouse traps in the
mudroom.  In less than 5 minutes we heard them pop.  Went into the mudroom,
the traps are sprung, but no mouse.  Between my washer & dryer was a small
gray bundle , startled but unhurt.
Looking closer , I realized it was a flying squirrel-huge, beautiful eyes
.  After a bit of panic,(didn't want the cats to get at it) we caught it
with a butterfly net & gloves and released it outside.  I don't know how it
got in, possibly the dryer vent or the roof somewhere.  But that was a new
one eating my bird seed and the first time I have seen a live flying
squirrel.
Beverly Propen