[CT Birds] Southport Survey #290

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Jan 14 16:06:59 EST 2012

Southport Survey # 290

The tide was low with sand bar exposes along with the rocks. There
was a west wind which produced white caps. The shore side of the
island was relatively calm. The sky was cloudy.

The island and area were full of Herring Gulls There were Black
Ducks, a couple of scoters and Horned Grebe in the lee of the island.
Just to the south of the island was the main flock of scoters. and a
few Red-breasted Mergansers. Off shore Long-tails were flying west in
groups 2-8 birds. I am sure more birds would be seen if I waited.
Also, there were 2 flocks of Goldeneye and a few scoters flying west.

The golf course ponds were open but only contained 3 swans and a
couple of Mallards. At Sasco Beach most of the gulls on the flats
were Ring-billed Gulls as opposed to the Herring Gulls out on the
island. Southport Harbor continued to be filled with the Canada Geese
(No Huey}, Bufflehead and Hooded Mergansers. Again there was one Red-
throated Loon in the main harbor channel, that’s 3 surveys in a row.

At Southport Beach the three Great Cormorants that roost on the tower
were still gone. Charlie Barnard suggested they may be the ones at
Penfield Light (moved because of the unsteady tower). The mouth of
Sasco Creek continued to have most of the swans Black Ducks, and

Dennis Varza

DATE	12/29	01/5	01/10	01/14
Tide	Low	High	High	Low
Time	7:40	7:55	7:50	7:50