[CT Birds] Assorted reports

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Jan 14 22:51:51 EST 2012

Passing these along.

 From Ted Gilman:
01/14/12 - Greenwich, Audubon Center -- BROWN CREEPER foraging on tree trunks in woodland north of orchard

 From John Barriger:
Meriden - Bishop's Pond - 8:00am - NORTHERN SHOVELER
Wallingford - McKenzie Reservoir - 9:00am - GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE
Lebanon - Norwich Road location - 1:00pm - 3:00pm - HARRIS' SPARROW
Over the course of a couple hours, the bird was seen 3 or 4 times - always along the stone wall in back of manure piles.   The wind kept the bird low, and moving when it was visible.   Best looks around 2:30pm when wind died down a bit and sun was shining.   Patience seems to be the key (rather than trying to flush the bird).   Also, immature BALD EAGLE over the fields.

 From Peter Piotroski:
I was refiling my feeders and sitting on a low(4 ft) fence about 10 feet
away from me was a Peregrine Falcon.
Time was Jan 14th 2012 - 3:45 PM, Where - Nuthatch Hill Rd. Trumbull, CT

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT