[CT Birds] Harris's Sparrow continues

Rick Gedney rrged at comcast.net
Sun Jan 15 21:04:07 EST 2012

>From Rick Gedney:

 01/15/12 - Lebanon, Chicken Farm on  Norwich Road-- HARRIS'S SPARROW  continues with loose group of Cardinals, Song Sparrows, WT Sparrows, Ame Tree Sparrows.

Bird was there briefly when I arrived at 1:45 PM and bolted.  It came back about 2:30 gave some great looks.  It was cold but the light was great for photos and the area was quite birdy. In addition to sparrows we had Golden-Crowned Kinglets and more. Great look at a quite low fly over by a full adult Bald Eagle.  The real bonus was in a field on the way to the site where a good sized Bobcat stalked, caught and ate a rodent in an open field off Norwich Road about a mile east of the Harris's site.  I had some nice picts of the Bobcat in action and of the Sparrow but Mark Szantyr, who arrived at the sparrow location about 20 minutes later, saw the bobcat independently and captured some beautiful shots.

Been a heck of  a good winter so far between the WF ibis, S owls, alcids, various geese (especially the YF), the Harris's and that YT Warbler about a quarter mile form where I work.  I have to get a better lens...and I am wishing I never took my boat out of the water.