[CT Birds] Comparing three different ferry rides on the same morning

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 22:58:15 EST 2012

There is a lot of current interest in "ferry birding".
Here is an interesting comparison of three different CT/RI
ferry rides on the same windy morning,  january 14th....
as quoted from Glenn Williams and Keith Mueller....

=====================
 7:30AM FERRY FROM NEW LONDON CT TO ORIENT POINT NY:
"... it seems that each ferry ride is unlike the next.  We had
seven adult kittiwakes, lots of Razorbills, but no murres.  Coming in, we
passed the next ferry coming out....

10AM FERRY FROM NEW LONDON CT TO ORIENT POINT NY:
They had no Razorbills in Connecticut waters,
no kittiwakes (despite going through where we had ours fifteen minutes
earlier), but three Common Murres.   Exciting times in the Sound."

Glenn Williams

=====================
11AM FERRY FROM POINT JUDITH RI TO BLOCK ISLAND:
"...with strong westerly winds and the
very rough sea conditions and looking directly into the very bright
sun, I only had limited viewing from the upper deck of the smaller
ferry behind a small compartment avoiding the mass amount of spray
coming over the upper deck. There were 550-600  sea ducks from
the outer walls of PJ to Block Island. RAZORBILL and COMMON MURRE-
100-125 (conservative estimate). Approx. three dozen seen between the
outer walls of PJ to the North Point of BLock. The balance were in the
calmer waters on the eastern side of BLock. The large alcids were in
singles, pairs, trios, small groups and one larger group of over 36
birds. DOVEKIE- at least 2 that I could positively ID (east of BLock).
Many birds sitting on the rough sea, just couldn't identify them.
There were many Gannets, and the water was covered with Loons and sea
ducks everywhere you looked..... we didn't find any White-winged
or Lesser Black-backed, Bonapartes, Kittiwakes, etc...."

Keith Mueller