[CT Birds] Goldfinches

Rick Gedney rrged at comcast.net
Mon Jan 16 07:11:47 EST 2012

>From Rick Gedney:

 01/15/12 - Madison, yard feeder in area of RT 79 and RT 80 circle -- Ame. Goldfinch went from zero to 8+ in last week just as many others reported.

They are feeding off the platform feeder...reminds me I am overdue to restock the thistle feeder.  BC Chickadee is another species that must have good natural food supply this year.  They are common feeder birds but this year I see them and hear them calling from the woods all around but not hitting the feeders that much.  The other parids are all over it.
One other note is yesterday diving home from the Harris's Sparrow I observed what I thought was a winter Kestrel (uncommon for me) hunting on the hover off I-95 between exit 63 and 62. Wasn't going to push my luck with my 7th or 8th "birder's emergency pullover" of the day.