[CT Birds] Comparing three different ferry rides on the same morning

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Mon Jan 16 09:54:16 EST 2012

 A few minor thoughts with respect Tom's comments. Jamie Meyers and one other observer did have a single razorbill in CT waters on the trip out. The 3 murres were all seen on the trip back.  We had to wait 30 minutes for another ferry to load and depart at Orient Point. Thus, our time for the return trip was much later than we had expected, arriving at New London at approx. 2:30 PM.

Tom is correct in that every trip will be different. For us CT birders, however, there is a significant difference between the Cross Sound Ferry between New London and Orient Point and the Block Island ferries in that the latter travel a more easterly route and are not as affected by the limiting factors that Long Island Sound places upon our trips. For those looking to bolster their CT lists, and also perhaps looking for a gentler passage, the Cross Sound ferries are still a good deal and provide the potential for unusual birds.  We're still looking for that special trip where Dovekies are reported. To date, at least this winter, I am not aware of any New London-Orient Point trips made with moderate easterly winds. Whether or not that will make a difference remains to be seen.

On our Saturday trip, the most unusual observation, at least from my point of view, was a pair of adult Bald Eagles several miles out into the Sound, but still in CT  off the Waterford coast.  I believe the earlier ferry had a Northern Harrrier also well out into the Sound. As has been said, every trip is different. I plan to take at least one more trip this season and I recommend others try it as well.  Finally to Glenn Williams - you are right, the chowder is good!

Jay Kaplan
Canton