[CT Birds] Thursday Goose Chase

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 09:30:51 EST 2012

1/19  Somers/East Windsor, I spent a couple mid day hours searching for the
Pink-footed Goose today with no luck.  At his usual haunt on 9th District at
the farm pond there were several hundred Canada geese, at the Somersville
Mill Pond another several hundred, in the Maple St. horse pasture several
hundred more, and then the jackpot at the Broad Brook Mill Pond probably
several thousand, but NO Pink-footed that I could find.  Interestingly, last
week I and others had observed a couple yellow neck-collared Canada's in the
flock that were adult females collared in July by DEEP in Bolton and Vernon.
Today I could not find them either but did see a 3rd yellow-collared goose
at Broad Brook, could not quite get his number but enough to know it was not
either of the first two.  So it seems that although there are impressive
numbers of geese around, individuals may not stay in one place all that long
(at least not in my small study group).  Just an interesting observation.
Another interesting observation I made was the impressive numbers of geese
on the ponds in the middle of the day.  Normally they are out in the fields
browsing and just spend the nights in the ponds but yesterday they were
mostly at the ponds.  Wonder if that is upcoming stormy weather related?

Jan in Somers