[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawk attacks!

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Fri Jan 20 13:15:42 EST 2012

I thought I would share this rather interesting tidbit from today:

There is a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks that hang out around my school, Fairfield Ludlowe High School, and are always flying around or perching on the trees, and they are always very vocal as well. They're actually quite distracting to me: I spend a good portion of my Spanish classes watching them out the window everyday! Anyway, I just got a recorded call from the Fairfield Board of Education that went out to everyone at the high school, saying that there have been some attacks on student and staff recently from the hawks and that the Board of Ed is working with Animal Control to sort out the problem! It makes sense that they are nesting in the area, as I always see them. I really hope they don't remove the nest or something though because they really are magnificent creatures that provide a wonderful distraction for me during my school day.

James Purcell
Fairfield