[CT Birds] Peregrine Falcon, Grass Island Greenwich

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Fri Jan 20 14:06:04 EST 2012

While driving around Grass Island today at lunchtime, I was alerted by an explosion of gulls rising from the floating docks, and scanning the sky, was rewarded with a PEREGRINE FALCON, swooping low over the water treatment plant and directly over my car, perhaps 20 feet overhead.  It was headed out over the harbor, but not having a sun-roof, I lost sight of it.  For that brief moment it was the best look at a Peregrine I've ever had, and a first for me at Grass Island (yes, it's Grass Island; apologies for having added a "Y" to that in some reports)
Otherwise, all the usual suspects- increasing LESSER SCAUP (30) and GADWALL, and a fine look at a SWAMP SPARROW.  KILLDEER are still around but I couldn't find the Pied-billed grebe, the DC cormorants, or any Bonapartes Gulls.
-Sean Murtha