[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawk attacks!

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Fri Jan 20 14:42:23 EST 2012

I have been working on an environmental remediation project in the northeast corner of Waterbury, near the Wolcott line over the past 2 years.  There is a 40-50 acre patch of mixed deciduous/hemlock forest surrounded by developed properties that abuts my project Site.  I have seen a pair of RSHs in this location on multiple occasions, and last summer there were two juves flyin around as well, so they are definitely nesting here.

I had a similar experience to what James is describing.  A land surveyor and I were working in these woods last spring in April locating groundwater monitoring wells.  The adult hawks on two occasions basically attacked us, and one actually hit my head and elbow on one occasion (I was wearing a baseball cap).  It scared the you-know-what out of us, and I did not realize how vocal this species is until I started this project.  My colleagues at the office got a good laugh about it when I described two grown men cowering behind the trunk of a tree saying "holy crap!"  I had to modify my Health & Safety plan for the project to account for this, which meant hard hats and safety glasses at all times when working in these woods.

If anyone cares to check them out, the entrance to the area is at the end of the cul-de-sac on Avenue of Industry in Waterbury.  Birders beware though.....good concentration spot for migrating warblers in the spring and fall too - I've ID'd 19 species in this one little spot over two years.

Jim

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Senior Project Manager
Environmental Resources Management