[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawk attacks!

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Jan 20 15:42:09 EST 2012

The tern researchers on Great Gull Island have to worry about attacks, not as dangerous individually as a hawk but far more numerous.  They eventually figured out that the terns struck the highest point on their target.  Their solution was to mount plastic flowers with long stems sticking up from broad-brimmed hats.  Visitors are given a stick perhaps a yard long to carry upright, like they are pretending it was an umbrella.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT