[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawk attacks!

Sarah Faulkner sffaulkner at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 20:44:04 EST 2012

There was a nesting pair of red-tails in West Hartford, CT two springs ago,
with the nest located unfortunately close to a sidewalk near an elementary
school.  The pair attacked some people, including a child walking to school.
They would often hang out in the large conifers across the street from the
school where I teach science, and hunted over our school fields.  I loved
watching them, and they made for many "teachable moments" for my students
with the binoculars I keep in my classroom for the students.*  I don't know
what was done about them -- for a while the sidewalk was barricaded near the
nest -- but after nesting season was over, they "disappeared".  I don't know
if an appropriate permit was gotten, but I suspect the nest was taken down
as soon as the chicks fledged (I hope they waited until then!).  The hawks
were so aggressive it made the local news many times, especially since some
people did get hurt (and a few lost their hats).  I still miss them.

Sarah Faulkner
Collinsville, CT

* If anyone has some old  but usable bins that you might consider donating,
I'd be VERY grateful - the ones I have are horrible and frustrate the kids
terribly...  We do get hawks hunting here now and then, including the
Hartford peregrine falcons for our robust pigeon population, and I love the
"teachable moments" when I toss aside my lesson plan to have the kids crowd
the windows to watch the raptors (which ARE part of my curriculum!).