[CT Birds] Snowy Stratford 1-21-2012

donnacap at aol.com donnacap at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 18:17:22 EST 2012

Birdseye Boat, Stratford
75 to 100 Gulls (Herring/Ring Billed)
2 Song Sparrows

Boat Ramp at the Greenway
5 Gadwells. One I saw yesterday with a "hole" in his throat is still there.  It doesn't appear to bother him (nor did the snow!).

Frash Pond, Stratford
Only able to identify what was on the "store side" of the pond because of snow falling.
About 50 Gulls
6 Common Mergansers
3 male Buffleheads, 2 females
8 male Canvas Backs, 5 females
3 American Black Ducks

Rt. 113, Opposite Airport Entrance hunkered down in the marshes were about 40 Canada Geese and a dozen ducks that I'm unable to identify (even via the photos as too much snow was falling).

My Yard, Stratford CT
While out shoveling large flocks of Geese kept going overhead.  There were 6 different groups heading south over the course of  about 1/2 hour  around 1:30-2:00ish and each group had two formations with stragglers so they looked like flying "M"s.  They were quite vocal too.
14 Dark-Eyed Juncos!  This is the 2nd time I've seen them in my yard and never this many!
20ish House Sparrows
3 Mourning Doves
1 Pr Cardinals
1 Male Downy
1 Red Bellied
1 Blue Jay
10 European Starlings

Photos from Today:

Link to photos with Gadwell with injury to neck: