[CT Birds] Stratford bits 1/22

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 22 14:14:55 EST 2012

>From Frank & Linda Mantlik
1/22  Stratford.  We took a ride around town to bird after breakfast.
Highlights:

-Frash Pond (Access Rd & Main St.) - 2 GREAT EGRETS, 1 Killdeer, large numbers
of gulls and waterfowl, including 1 LESSER SCAUP, 29 Canvasbacks, 4 Common
Mergansers (all 3 merganser species in one scope view!).

-Long Beach (Oak Bluff Ave.) - adult ICELAND GULL continues on beach in front of
beach houses, 1 NORTHERN GANNET, 1 Northern Harrier.

Sikorsky Airport - 70 Snow Buntings, 2 Horned Larks.

Stratford boat ramp (Birdseye St.) - 27+ Am. Coot, 1 Green-winged Teal, 1 Swamp
Sparrow.

- Raven Pond Park (E. Main St = Rt 110) - 3 Northern Pintails (2 male), male
MANDARIN DUCK (alerted to it by Barney Bontecou), adult Red-shouldered Hawk
(eating suet) atop tall TV antenna at far end of pond.

Our home - BLACK VULTURE soaring over neighborhood, imm. Cooper's Hawk near
feeders.