[CT Birds] Eagle shooting

Michael Richardson michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:21:23 EST 2012

Hi Paul,

I am curious to know what the source of this information is?  Can you link
an article or something?  As far as I know, Bald and Golden Eagles are still
protected by Federal Law.  While the Federal government has removed Bald
Eagles from the list of threatened or endangered species, the law
prohibiting the killing of them is still on the books.  I think The only way
to legally kill an eagle is to get a federal permit.  Permits are generally
hard to obtain, have fees associated with them, and often a long waiting
list to get a permit to kill a single eagle.  Even native Americans are
bound to this permit.

Of course, there is nothing stopping someone from breaking the law and
shooting it anyway, but considering the hefty fines:

"A violation of the Act can result in a fine of $100,000 ($200,000 for
organizations), imprisonment for one year, or both, for a first offense.
Penalties increase substantially for additional offenses, and a second
violation of this Act is a felony."

I find it hard to believe someone would take that risk just to protect game