[CT Birds] Cornell's "Merlin" birding id software development

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Mon Jan 23 17:55:03 EST 2012

The link below is to a new endeavor at Cornell, which some of you may find fun and useful.

New activity:	Mark My Bird

We'll show you a photo of a birdand ask a series of questions. You'll sharpen your observation skills. And, your answers will train Merlin to identify birds in photos!

What is Merlin?
When people notice a new bird, the first question they often ask is, "What bird did I see?" We're building Merlin to help people find the answer.

Merlin will be a new kind of bird identification tool—one that combines artificial intelligence with input from real-life bird watchers to produce an online "wizard" that helps people ID birds quickly and connects them to more information.

To build Merlin, we need to know how thousands of people remember and describe birds. You can help us by playing games that gather the information to help Merlin understand what bird watchers see. The more you play, the more you'll help Merlin become a true bird ID wizard.