[CT Birds] Golden Eagles shot

Sarah Faulkner sffaulkner at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 20:01:51 EST 2012

There are, I'm afraid, many people who do not see a value in wildlife,
partly -- I think -- due to their lack of connecting humans with the natural
world.  Last year I was teaching my middle school students about birds and
nesting behaviors, and one student described how he and his father had
peppered a bluejay nest with bb's, killing the baby birds, destroying the
un-hatched eggs, and killing both parents.  He reported this as a fun
activity and honestly didn't see anything wrong with it.  I hope that my
handling of it, helping him to understand the problems with such activity
without embarrassing him or criticizing his father or family values, which
was very tricky -- helped him begin a lifetime of valuing wildlife.  Some
missing knowledge involves understanding food webs, ecosystems, and ethical
behaviors.  By the end of the year he was bringing in photos he'd taken of
birds and privately told me how sorry he was that he'd ever shot anything
with a bb gun.  But that was only one student, one father, in one little
town.

Sarah Faulkner
Collinsville, CT