[CT Birds] Goshawk in Somers

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Tue Jan 24 18:56:51 EST 2012

While walking my pooch (w/Glasses in hand of course), a stunning adult Northern Goshawk seen today 1 hour before sunset in my neighborhood, perched in large Poplar tree on Blue Ridge Drive, Somers.  Lighting was perfect from behind me, with the bird facing southwest; red eyes obvious.  I would say this bird was nearly as big as a RTH.  After about a minute, it flew southeast toward Four Bridges Road.  Wicked awesome.

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Senior Project Manager
Environmental Resources Management
99 East River Drive, 3rd Floor