[CT Birds] Northern Rough-winged Swallows and Warblers East Shore Park Keith Mueller

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Jan 25 18:50:27 EST 2012

A few Highlights from today:

I stopped by East Shore Park on my way home this afternoon (around
1:45 pm) and watched 5 Swallows feeding over the Treatment Plant. At
least two were Northern Rough-winged and not sure about the other
three. Also in the pine trees along the fence were quite a few
Warblers; Yellow-rumped and Palm. There may have been a few other
species but I was running late. Also at East Shore: 300 Scaup, 24
Gadwall, 250 Brant. A swarm of gulls were feeding at the discharge
pipe by the channel. With a quick look I saw mostly Ring-billed and a
few Herring. They were both swimming and flying above the rip; I
didn't see any other species but I only made a quick glance.

In New Haven Harbor- 300 Gulls by the boat ramp mostly Ring-billed and
Herring, did not see an Iceland Gull; I searched hard for one. 3,500-
4,000 + Scaup rafted in the middle of the harbor-I didn't search for
any Redheads or Canvasbacks. 1,500 (maybe more) Brant- they were
everywhere in the Harbor in huge flocks.

Behind Leon's- 40 Ruddy ducks, 50 Scaup (mostly Lesser), 18 Gadwall, 9
Oldsquaw in the middle of the channel near the bridge. 5 Great
Cormorants.

Hammonasset (8:00 am)- 2 Common Eider drakes

Leetes Island- 13 Green-winged Teal in Leetes Pond. Many Gulls in Lost
Lake, no BLack-headed Gull yet (or maybe).

Stratford- Frank's adult Iceland Gull continues with excellent views.
It came and went from its favorite piling perch several times. Once it
flew over the cottages and joined a large swarm of Gulls towards
Stratford Point, but returned to its piling after a minute where it
was when I left.

Frash Pond, Canvasbacks continue, 3 Great Cormorant

Boat Ramp- 28 Coot, and a fly-over adult Bald Eagle.

Keith Mueller   Killingworth