[CT Birds] Late report for Monday, 1/23/12

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 12:25:04 EST 2012

This is a late report for Monday, January 23. I was in the East Haddam, Chester, Gillette Castle area,  routes 82 and 154.
In East Haddam, from the parking lot behind the Gelston House, looking east across the road, an adult Red-shouldered Hawk sat in a tree for a 1/2 hour, then flew east, showing beautiful back plummage. I have seen  Red-shouldereds there in past years.
>From the Chester Ferry spot, I watched 6 Great Cormorants just hanging out on a piece of ice floating south.
An Adult Bald Eagle flew at eye level, north, past the terrace of Gillette Castle. We had a great view. He/she was only about 20 feet  away.  A man was so excited, he was clapping.  The bird gave him a brief glance and continued on.