[CT Birds] Coot & Green Winged Teal @ 14 Acre Pond, Norwalk

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sat Jan 28 16:35:08 EST 2012

Hi Micheael,

Definitely not a G W Teal! Its hard to tell from one image, but the
size is too large, shape is "gadwall-ish", the bill has a pintail hen
color with a gadwall shape and even tarsus color (which is Yellow in
the images) Looks exactly like a hen Gadwall x Pintail hybrid. I had a
few of these when I had my waterfowl aviary. Pintails would often
hybridize with Wigeon and Gadwall. Other features that lean towards
the hybrid are the tertial shape and colors,tarsus color, bill shape
and grey color with fine mottling, indication of black culmin and bill
border, squarish head with fine feather spotting, long profile, bill
angle, etc. Just my thoughts. If it is a hybrid, it is probably the
first Pintail x Gadwall hybrid I have heard of in the wild in CT.

Keith Mueller

I took this photo today of what I am guessing is the American Coot  as well
as the Green Winged Teal that has been reported at this site recently:

Location: 14 Acre Pond, Norwalk, CT

Date: 1/28/2012

Michael Richardson