[CT Birds] Harris's Sparrow, Iceland Gulls at Windsor Landfill, 1/28

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Sat Jan 28 17:03:03 EST 2012

The Harris' Sparrow continued this morning as of 9 AM (1/28) on Norwich Avenue in Lebanon.  The bird was coming to the seed spread out at the edge of the brush at the west side of the opening in the stone wall leading to the building with all the manure in it.  Many thanks for everyone's updates on this bird - this was my first chance to try to chase after this bird.
Then off to the Windsor Landfill, where highlights were 2 1st year Iceland Gulls but no Thayer's.  Though there was one 1st year gull that was interesting - smaller-billed, all black bill, rounded-headed, but not quite enough for Thayer's, plus darker primaries and tail.  Just a Herring (I guess).  A young Bald Eagle flew overhead a couple times which scattered the gulls each time.

And I got to meet several very nice CT birders for the first time after trading lots of e-mails over the years!

>From Mike Resch:
1/28 - Lebanon, Norwich Ave. - Harris' Sparrow feeding on bird seed

Windsor Landfill - 2 1st year Iceland Gulls, 1 im. Bald Eagle

Mike Resch
Pepperell, MA