[CT Birds] Sam Wheeler Reed Park

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 29 09:43:07 EST 2012

Thanks to all who have written letters to our town officials...I have read the ones that my spamblocker intercepted, too.

It appears now the the widow of Sam Reed who lives in Maryland heard about this and is writing to our town officials as well as the Courant. She states that Sam wanted the park as an open meadow, and that planting trees would be in direct conflict with his wishes. This should carry a lot of weight in Bloomfield.

Interestingly, I was told that she had agreed to this!

As I have said before, I love this place. I have spent years dealing with the town to preserve the grasslands, and they are doing a great job now in the timing of mowing, etc. For anyone who wants to visit the park, take Cottage Grove Rd (rt.218) to the intersection with School St and go north on School St. Park at the school on the left hand side and walk over. Not much to see right now, except the wonderful view.