[CT Birds] Alcid trip results 2/4/12

philiprusch at charter.net philiprusch at charter.net
Sat Feb 4 17:09:28 EST 2012

This morning 42 birders went on a chartered boat trip out of Groton CT
in search of the alcids that have been in the eastern Long Island Sound.
We spent the first half of our trip following the CT/NY line down the
sound from the Thames River westward into the area where all of the
sightings of Common and Thick-billed Murres were.  Unfortunately it
appears that the alcids and the fish that the birds were feasting on
have moved out of the sound.  This area was almost totally devoid of
birds except for a few Northern Gannets.  There were very few loon and
gulls as well.
The second half of the trip was spent cruising the state line back east
to Stonington.  We had better luck here with 9 Razorbills and many more
Northern Gannets.  All of the Razorbills would have been visible from
land with the best spot for viewing being Ender's Island in Mystic.  All
in all, it was a lot of fun and it was really great to see so many CT
birders together in the field.

Phil Rusch
Chaplin CT

For Roy:

 From the COA aboard the Project Oceanology boat Enviro-Lab II:
2/4/12 - Eastern Long Island Sound -- 16 Nothern Gannet
            - Stonington, Ender's Island --  9 Razorbill