[CT Birds] Harris's Sparrow and Windsor Landfill - 02/03

James P. Smith keenbirder at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 16:12:51 EST 2012

Greetings CT birders,

Saw the Harris's Sparrow about four times over a one hour period (11.00-12.00) today in the well described location on Norwich Ave, Lebanon. Again, many thanks for the responses to my request for info yesterday. The bird was coming in periodically to seeded area though seemed skittish and remained obscured for most of my views. Also, I was a bit surprised to see a calling Killdeer fly over in early Feb, plus a calling Red-shouldered Hawk from across the arable field behind the manure piles.

ON the way back to Western MA I swung by Windsor Landfill. Conditions were not the best - cold, wind and very bright. About 1,000 large gulls present, mostly adult Herrings but also 1 first-cycle Kumlien's (Iceland) Gull, and one, quite large and leggy, first-cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull. All the gulls spent a lot of time in the air with a couple of Bald Eagles patrolling the area.

Best birding,

James P. Smith

Gill, MA