[CT Birds] Harris's Sparrow - 02/03

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Fri Feb 3 16:54:48 EST 2012

I waited from 12:15 until 2:00, froze my keester off with no jacket, and finally saw the bird feeding on the ground with several WTs, a few Juncos, song sps., two tree sparrows, and a cardinal.

I have to say, not seeing one previously, that the bill looked more orangy-red than pink to me.  The peppered pattern on the head was different too.  Is this a 1st winter bird?

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Senior Project Manager
Environmental Resources Management
99 East River Drive, 3rd Floor