[CT Birds] albino turkey vulture

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Sat Feb 4 06:27:40 EST 2012

In another example of apparent leucism in Turkey Vultures -

In 2011 I saw a vulture with white feathers in its wings at the proper locations to make it a Black Vulture.  The problem was everything else about the bird was right for TV - wing shape, tail shape, dihedral angle of the wings, etc.  This was in the northeast corner of Oklahoma, at the western edge of the typical range for Black Vulture, and I was specifically looking for Black Vulture for my OK state list.  My conclusion was it was a TV with leucism, with the white feathers being in locations that challenged the identification.  Though I did think about a potential hybrid Black x Turkey Vulture.  A short time later I did see real Black Vultures for my OK list.

Mike Resch
Pepperell, MA
www.statebirding.blogspot.com