[CT Birds] Various reports

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Feb 4 23:20:35 EST 2012

Passing these along.

 From-Jade Gile
 2/4/12 at 5pm.
Belle Vista apartment complex Eastern St
New Haven,CT
1 PEREGRINE FALCON captured a rodent and proceeded to eat it in a tree 25ft away

 From Jonah Cohen, Newington
  Yellow throated warbler in Madison seen at ~10:15
  At Hammonasset, great blue heron in the pond near the start of the Willard
Island trail, common goldeneye off the end of the jetty near the nature center,
and on the shore at the start of the jetty, a couple dozen sanderlings - cute!
  At the boat launch in West Haven, couldn't locate the widgeons, but in with the
raft of several hundred scaup (greater + lesser), did find two drake Redheads
(~2:00). They stood out from the pack.

 From Colin Marchant, Needham, MA
Shorebirds at Hammonasset
Saturday, February 4, 2012
Today I went to see the Yellow-throated Warbler in Madison and was successful at 7:30 AM, even though a Cooper’s Hawk had been nearby 15 minutes earlier.
I then went to Hammonasset State Beach, I think it is called Meig’s Point, and the shorebirds were pretty good:
Sanderling                       150+
Dunlin                                   8
Ruddy Turnstone               7
Purple Sandpiper              2 (on the breakwater)

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT