[CT Birds] A great day of birding in Stratford

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sun Feb 5 19:29:26 EST 2012

Not only was it a great day for birding, I had the pleasure of meeting some fellow birders at the Boat Ramp/Greenway looking for the Am. Bittern.  I didn't see him today, nor have I yet seen the Snipes but I spent several hours there as I waited for the tide to get lower and made a second trip later in the day  I noted a lot of Swan activity!  A group flew up river and then down river and then they split up in smaller groups.

Stratford Boat Ramp 2/5/2012:
Bald Eagle flew up river around 10:30a.m.
Northern Harrier (female) flew over picnic tables
Am. Black Ducks
Fish Crows
Female Belted Kingfisher
Brant and Canada Geese
Song Sparrow
Loon (winter plumage Red throated? See photo in link below)

Pond Behind Office Building on Access Road (earlier in the day there was a Hunter in the marshes next to the pond so I went back later and lighting not as good.  Thought duck season was over?)
Juvenile Heron (Crowned?)
Hooded Mergansers
Am. Black Ducks

Small Pond between the factories off Long Beach Blvd. (if you go behind the factories and take a right to the sign that says end of trail there is a small pond along the parking lot).
Pair of Am Black Ducks
Pair of Gadwells (my first female!)

Flying along Lordship Blvd toward Access Road:
Great Blue Heron

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT
Facebook:  Donna Rae Henault Caporaso