[CT Birds] Fairfield Hawk Watch info

Alexander Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:38:40 EST 2012

Hi All,

Just reading the article "What's missing in Hawk Watching Today?" in the most recent issue of Birding got me pumped to finally start doing some hawk watching in Fairfield, something I've put off for a while. I've heard that people have conducted hawk watches at Larsen Sanctuary in the past and a search on HMANA's website confirmed this. However, it seems like nobody has reported from the site since 1989 (see http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=654). The totals from the past look great, making Larsen a good option. I was also considering Hoyden's Hill as a possible site. At over 400 feet, Hoyden's is the highest point in Fairfield.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information they'd be willing to share regarding hawk watching at these two sites and also if anyone can explain to a hawk watching newbie like me what are the good components for a good day of hawk watching in southwestern CT and what are the components of a good hawk watching site in this part of the state.

Thanks!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield