[CT Birds] Grackles and other

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Wed Feb 8 20:48:38 EST 2012

A flock (cloud) of 1,500 (estimated) Common Grackles seen yesterday afternoon (4:30) at my house in Somers on McCulloch Drive.  A few other blackbirds mixed in, but couldn't ID in the fray.  Had 7 rusty BB and 3 eastern blue birds at the NCLT property on Durkee Road as well a few minuted earlier.

Also, a 1/4 mile long, narrow raft of approximately 1,200 C Geese on the CT River yesterday around 3:00 between River Road in Suffield and the Bigelow Condos in Thompsonville (Enfield).  I spotted three smaller (2/3 size) grayish-brown Geese swimming together among the Canadas.  They appeared to have small pinkish/orangeish bills.  They were 500 feet away, and I only had my smaller binocs with me, so I could not get a real close look at them.  I am an amateur with geese, but these birds reminded me of the Pink-footed I saw last month at the Mill Pond.  I wish I had a scope.....

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Senior Project Manager
Environmental Resources Management
99 East River Drive, 3rd Floor