[CT Birds] Wilson's Snipe (Finally!)

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 14:31:05 EST 2012

Today I finally got to see the Wilson's Snipe, after weeks of looking!  Not an easy little guy to spot.  Wonder how many times I've looked right at him and missed him.  He was feeding along side the Female Am. Black Duck that has been in the canal the past week.  The Black Duck was later entertaining 3 friends....cats (link to photo below).

Otherwise the Boat Ramp today was slow.  Usual mix of Gulls, Coots, Am. Black Ducks, Mallards, Gadwells.  Belted King Fisher, 1 Northern Harrier (female) came up out of the marsh area to the north of the main parking lot and flew across the River.

Shelby's Pond had a Black Crowned Night Heron, Hooded Mergansers, a pair of Belted King Fishers and a Swan.

Yesterday while driving on Burma Road saw a huge flock of Brant Geese flying along Long Beach.  They landed in Johnson's Creek.  There was also a Red Tail Hawk (?) in a tree next to the airport.  Pulled over and took a quick shot.
A Great Egret was in the pond behind the factories along the parking lot of the 2nd building (the one closest to Great Meadow Marsh being the first).   He was there in the a.m. while it was snowing and later in the afternoon.  He wasn't being very successful at catching anything.  There was one pair of Gadwells as well.
Greenway had a Northern Harrier (female) and a Red Tail Hawk and the Red-Throated Loon that is usually off the docks was just off the shore near the two benches.  Water isn't very deep there so I was surprised to see it diving in that area.

Who would be a Gull person?  Next to shorebirds I have to say they are my Favorite and intrigue me most. I'm studying them and trying to figure them out but I have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to.  Is there a Gull book?  Email me if you an help.  Thanks.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT