[CT Birds] 4 Iceland, 1 Lesser Black-backed and another wing-tagged Ring-billed Gulls K Mueller

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sun Feb 12 17:53:12 EST 2012

Excellent day Gulling in CT.

This morning 8:00 am (low tide) NW wind 15-20Knots (cold).- Circle
Beach, Madison/Guilford- 3 ICELAND GULLS. I located the adult reported
yesterday by NIck B. on the sandbar with other gulls. After being
enticed to the beach with catfood, I was able to photograph it at very
close range. While I was photographing it, a second ICELAND GULL
appeared (first cycle) and landed near the adult on the beach. While I
was photographing them, Jen spotted a third first cycle Iceland Gull
while she was standing near our truck on Neck Rd. It flew over me, and
didn't stop. She followed it over the cottages and lost it heading
towards Grass Island. ALso another wing-tagged/banded Ring-billed
Gull- I am sending the information to Dr. Ken MacKenzie for data

West Haven boat ramp- many hundred Gulls present (as the bagel man was
there)-we could not find any unusal Gulls, but thee large raft of
3,000 ++ SCaup continue along with 1000 + Brant.

Stratford, Fifth Avenue Beach- Adult ICELAND GULL continues with very
close looks.

Westport- Buryinghill Beach- adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL continues
with very close looks (a few feet from the parking lot) thanks to a
few handfuls of catfood and suet.

Madison, Circle Beach, 3:30 pm- adult ICELAND GULL continues, did not
see either of the first cycle birds.

I will have the complete report with images posted on my blog later
this week. I have a very interesting report that I will be posting
tomorrow- watch for it!

Keith and Jen Mueller
Killingworth, CT